"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try."
- Brian Littrell
DIETS DON'T WORK!
My philosophy is simple: you can live healthy AND live well. Assigning a diet rarely works in the long term. The word "diet" implies an end date, at which the client usually regresses to his or her normal lifestyle and the weight creeps back on. This leads to an infinite loop of yo-yo dieting, a gradual deterioration of metabolism, which makes it more difficult to lose weight the next go-around, and ends with unhappiness and low self esteem. Instead of feeding this vicious circle, we work to break it by gradually, but permanently, changing your lifestyle and improving not just how you eat, but how you move and how you feel. It is because we look at your life as a whole rather than individual parts that my programs have been so successful both in the short- and long-term.
NO QUICK FIX
My approach does not involve any “quick fixes.” I do not subscribe to fad diets, drugs, boot camps du jour, or the latest antioxidant berry from the Amazon to achieve results. These trendy methods are unsustainable, temporary solutions that are more designed to profit snake-oil salesmen rather than the user. My rule of thumb is if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Viable and enduring change takes time and effort. Just think, if there were a magic pill, Oprah (and every other wealthy celebrity) would never struggle with her weight or have any health issues. You see, any nitwit can help you lose weight by giving you a cookie-cutter meal plan that unreasonably restricts your calories and prescribes hours of cardio. However, as soon as you return to your normal eating and exercising habits, and you will… because drastic lifestyle changes and excessive calorie restriction are not a sustainable recipe for success… you will gain all that weight back and likely more, because your metabolism will have paid the price for your quest for immediate gratification.
Instead of over-promising and under-delivering, I approach your health and wellness objectives with a gradual, multifaceted program that is designed to ensure long-term sustainability. With my support, you will learn how to be healthier in every aspect of your life and how to incorporate your new found knowledge in your every day behavior. The key to your long-term success is introducing small and manageable modifications to your lifestyle that will gradually improve the way you eat, increase how much you move, get your life more organized, help you think more positively, and reduce stress. This requires focus on more than just one area. Instead of simply fixating on nutrition OR exercise, we center our work around the three “Elements of Success” outlined below. Treating just one of these elements in lieu of the others makes it nearly impossible to achieve and maintain results and good health in any wellness objective.
ELEMENTS OF SUCCESS
DIET AND NUTRITION
Together we analyze your current eating and lifestyle habits to determine a course of action, which includes:
- Identifying any nutritional deficiencies and/or food sensitivities
- Determining which foods to reduce or eliminate to improve health, increase energy and achieve your goals
- Focusing on eating whole vs. processed foods
- Learning how to cook quick, healthy, and delicious meals
MOVEMENT AND REST
Taking your goals into account, we customize a fitness program, which includes:
- Developing a customized exercise program for you
- Analyzing your progress on a regular basis to adapt your program according to your momentum
- Modifying your workout program as often as 4-6 weeks to maximize progress, prevent plateaus and keep your workouts interesting
HEALTH AND STABILITY
We work together to identify and eliminate the causes of your unhealthy habits, which includes:
- Determining any underlying issues that may be the root of unwanted behaviors
- Focusing on behavioral problems, choices and solutions
- Empowering you to take responsibility for your own health and happiness
- Supporting you to implement behavior changes that will contribute to the achievement of your personal wellness goals